Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Answer to the Great Question of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two

I have, since grade school, been meaning to read Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Once, when I was home from school, sick, a very good family friend lent me his VHS (yes, I just said VHS... I was in grade school, remember?) set of the BBC mini-series adaptation, and I absolutely loved it. Then, lo and behold, Marvin the manically depressed robot was voiced by Alan Rickman in the 2005 adaptation. Could I possibly love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy more? Yes; I could read it.

What's there to love, you ask? What isn't there to love? This book is just plain fun. It's hilariously clever and sarcastic, and I found myself, on several occasions, laughing out loud. Don't be fooled, though, it's surprisingly poignant in some places. Isn't it just a book about aliens, you ask? Not really. True, it's "science-fiction-y" enough for those of us who enjoy that sort of thing, but it's not so far "out there" that it's rigidly genre-specific and off-putting to those who claim to hate sci-fi classics the likes of Star Wars. It has to be that way, in a sense, given Arthur Dent's whirlwind introduction to intergalactic travel. To that end, the excerpts from the actual Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy are not only helpful in acclimating the reader to new planets and their inhabitants, but they are written in a fun and light-hearted manner. It's as if much of the book is written like one big inside joke between Douglas Adams and his readers, and it makes it a true delight to read. Screw the quintessential chick-books often referred to as "summer reading" and pick this up instead. Sure, you might get some strange looks on the beach, but I have a feeling you'll be much more satisfied. Hands down, a well-deserved A+.

It should be noted that The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is only one of five novels that tell the entire story of Arthur Dent's journey through space. However, why stop there when it's end so clearly sets up the next novel's beginning? I didn't! Barnes & Noble *insert shameless pitch for my place of employment here* currently offers a beautiful leather-bound book with all of them in one; I strongly suggest purchasing it. It costs less than buying all five separately! Even less if you have a membership! *insert shameless pitch for the Barnes & Noble membership program here*

60 down, 941 to go!

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." (Douglas Adams)

1 comment:

kittenpaws33 said...

Love that, own the BN edition.

On a side note, went to a conference with some hardcore sci-fi people - they consider Star Wars to be science-fantasy, not science-fiction because it doesn't hold on to our laws of physics.

I say they're dumb XD

Post a Comment