Monday, February 15, 2010

The Cost of Oblivious Daydreaming Was Always This Moment Of Return

It is a strange business, turning well known and loved novels into films. No matter how much producers, directors, and actors may try, it has been my experience that a film adaptation of a book rarely lives up to my own imagination. True, the BBC has managed to capture some of my favorite classics adequately on film, but only in mini-series form, which takes 4 or 5 hours to view. It was completely by surprise then, that I finally discovered a situation in which I enjoy a movie more than the book it depicts. That was the film based on Ian McEwan's Atonement. It is rare that I see a book-based film without first reading its accompanying novel, but such was the case in this scenario. I was quite impressed with the film. I immediately loved the story, not only for the plot as constructed by Briony, but the way the story changes after the twist at the end. It offers a beautiful commentary on the power of literature. Although she is too late to change the past, Briony attempts to find atonement through her writing, giving those in her life that she has injured a "happily ever after". In addition to the story itself, the way the film combined cinematography with a brilliant score was stunning, and I loved the way McAvoy and Knightly crafted their characters. I found myself becoming emotionally attached to the characters, which is precisely why I love film and literature. As a result of this experience, I was looking forward to reading the novel.

Unfortunately, as with The Woman in White, McEwan's novel did not live up to the epic beauty I expected after watching the film. My preconceived notions of the characters were challenged, and I favored their on screen counterparts to the way they expressed themselves in the written word. The story itself was no less captivating, but was rather slow moving in the novel. I finished the book severely disappointed. Regardless I applaud McEwan for his imaginative commentary on literature and authorship. Judging the book itself rather than the film, I give it a B-.

31 down, 970 to go!

"Politics is the enemy of the imagination." (Ian McEwan)

No comments:

Post a Comment