Saturday, February 13, 2010

Fear of Danger Is Ten Thousand Times More Terrifying Than Danger Itself

I love Survivor. I've been watching since the first season aired 10 years ago and can't seem to get enough. Sure, it started the reality show craze that has since been plaguing nearly every television station, but Survivor continues to set itself apart. It truly requires skill to be a contestant on Survivor and I love watching the strategies and alliances play out just as much as I love watching the tribes struggle to build shelters, find food, and sleep through monsoons. Needless to say I loved reading Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe, the original survivor story. I loved reading of the adventures he has on what he begins to call "his" island. He is resourceful and determined as he builds a canoe and outwits a group of cannibals. His re-assimilation into society after being rescued is speedy and he succeeds in creating a fortune for himself. The whole of his story is an admirable one and exciting to read. I give it an A-.

25 down, 976 to go!

"The soul is placed in the body like a rough diamond. It must be polished or the luster of it will never appear." (Daniel Defoe)

No comments:

Post a Comment