Saturday, February 13, 2010

He's So Dumb He Doesn't Know He's Alive

The Great Gatsby has been hailed by most of the literary world as "the great American novel". However, when I read it my junior year of high school I didn't like it. Like Ethan Frome I appreciated the plot and themes, but the characters and setting weren't my cup of tea. I don't deny that it's a good book, it just didn't interest me that much. Unlike many of my friends, I'm not that intrigued by the roaring 20's. I think that my general dislike for the characters of Daisy and Tom tainted my views on the entire novel, and I should probably give it a second chance. I did however, enjoy the character of Gatsby and the description of his estate. Regardless, for the time being I give it a C+ and I look forward to reading Fitzgerald's other work featured on the list.

27 to go 974 to go!

"Genius is the ability to put into effect what is in your mind." (F. Scott Fitzgerald)

No comments:

Post a Comment