Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tell Fire and Wind Where to Stop but Don’t Tell Me

For the past year, I’ve worked at my local Barnes & Noble, both as a barista in the café and a bookseller. In my opinion one of the best parts of the job is working with so many other people who are passionate about literature. I was surprised to find however, that many of my coworkers dislike Charles Dickens. As one bookseller commented “he uses too many words!” I can understand the objection; some people simply don’t like his style of writing, but I still think that anyone fan or not, can find something of value from Dickens’ excellent attention to characters and setting. His characters also serve as important symbols, and London itself becomes a character. I think this makes Dickens’ works even more interesting and profound. I have yet to read all of the Dickens novels on the list, but here are the ones that I have previously enjoyed.

A Tale of Two Cities: My favorite of the three Dickens novels I’ve read. I adore the character of Sydney Carton. His personal transformation is inspiring to watch as he moves beyond his selfishness and sacrifices everything for the love of another. Dickens manages to capture all the violence and chaos of the French Revolution within the character of Madame Defarge, whose need for revenge is understandable yet heartbreaking. Although the story certainly doesn’t end the way one would hope, the reader is oddly at peace with the tragedy that befalls its well known and loved participants. An A+ in my book.

Nicholas Nickelby: There’s no way around it, this book is sad. Each of the main characters has had a horrible fate thrust upon them, but I love the strength of Nicholas. He becomes the man of the house after his father dies and, although he is certainly a flawed hero, is more than willing to come to the rescue of his family. It’s nice to see Dickens give his protagonists a well deserved happy ending here. The character development is not as strong here as I would have wished, but the social satire is amusing. I give it an A-.

Great Expectations: In high school, I was surrounded by people who disliked this book, probably because they were “forced” to read it freshman year. It’s certainly not my favorite of the three Dickens novels I’ve read, but the story is fascinating. It is easy to empathize with Pip who has a sometimes unrealistic view on life, but is always seeking to improve himself. He certainly doesn’t have an ordinary life, and it is full of interesting twists and turns! Despite her many flaws, Miss Havisham is a fantastic character, both hilarious is her eccentricity and pitiable for the hardship she suffered and the way it impacted her own life and the life of her adoptee Estella. Like Madam Defarge in A Tale of Two Cities, many are hurt by her quest for revenge, but Miss Havisham comes to see the error of her ways and is, in some way, redeemed. Full of interesting character studies, I give it an A.

Bottom line on Dickens: if you can get past his occasional wordiness, a thorough reading of his novels can provide an excellent opportunity to explore the human condition and the importance of forgiveness and redemption.

9 down 992 to go!

"Electric communication will never be a substitute for the face of someone who with their soul encourages another person to be brave and true." (Charles Dickens)

No comments:

Post a Comment