Thursday, February 11, 2010

I Shall Be Miserable If I Have Not an Excellent Library

If you asked my friends to describe me in one word, I’d wager that more than half would choose the word “obsessive”. It’s long been a family joke that I don’t simply like things, I become obsessed with them. In the literary world, Jane Austen is one of those obsessions. I’ve read each of her novels countless times and own most of the film versions currently available. I’ve visited filming locations and have strongly considered letting this be the year that I join the Jane Austen Society of North America. I have an entire bookshelf devoted to the works of Jane Austen, spinoffs, and sequels. Needless to say, I was thrilled when all of her novels appeared on the list with which this blog is concerned. Here, briefly, are my thoughts on each:

Pride and Prejudice: What a classic! This book started my fascination with all things Austen. It’s tied as my favorite with Sense and Sensibility. There are so many things I could say for my love about this book, but I’ll only elaborate on one. I adore the relationship between Darcy and Elizabeth. They tested their relationship before it even began and found each other strong and reliable. They accepted both their own flaws and the flaws of the other to form a lasting love that neither could have anticipated. Elizabeth finds that she can both marry a true English gentleman without losing her independence. Perhaps this is the source from which women’s love for Mr. Darcy springs. I give it a resounding A+.

Sense and Sensibility: How can I not love a book that’s hero is portrayed on screen by Alan Rickman?! My feelings for the actor aside, Austen again crafts a wonderful story that I never tire of reading. Sure it greatly parallels its sister novel, Pride and Prejudice, but the juxtaposition of the whimsical Marianne and the ever sensible Eleanor is both charming and laughable. The character of Edward Ferras is absolutely adorable in all of his aloof glory and the desperate longing of Colonel Brandon is heartwarming and tragic. The story makes for four interesting character studies, and nothing makes me happier than when they each find their “happily ever after” at the novel’s close. Another A+ for Miss Austen.

Emma: I love the comedic irony that runs through this entire novel. Emma’s character is both infuriating and loveable as she tries to play matchmaker to all of her friends. I most enjoy that she finds love where she least expects it, in the person that is one of her closest friends. I think that out of all the Austen novels, this most closely represents common life experiences. I give it an A.

Persuasion: A true story where the clichéd “love conquers all” motto rings true. Anne and Wentworth are destined for each other, and Austen creates a world where no obstacle can stand in their way. Wentworth’s determination is admirable to say the least. I would certainly want someone to fight that hard for me! I believe another A is in order here.

Northanger Abbey: I particularly appreciated the sense of mystery in this novel. In my opinion, it is the most unique of Austen’s novels. The banter between Catherine and Tilney is lighthearted and fun to read. As for the Abbey itself, I picture it to be a rather extraordinary place and imagine a scene rather like that of Beauty and the Beast when General Tilney throws Catherine out for snooping. As always, an A.

Mansfield Park: This is my least favorite of the Austen novels. In all honesty, I find that the plot moves rather slowly and that the character of Fanny Price annoys me. The almost frantic hesitancy of Edmund sets him apart from the heroes of the previously discussed novels. Everyone seems to complain all the time and I didn’t find myself to be as emotionally attached to these characters as I usually am when reading an Austen novel. I give it an A-.

I apologize for my brevity, but I’m trying to write 48 mini-reviews so I can get to my more lengthy detailed posts! Bottom line about Austen: read her books. She’s a delight and will increase your vocabulary by leaps and bounds!

6 down 995 to go!

"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal." (Jane Austen)

No comments:

Post a Comment