Wednesday, February 17, 2010

People Never Notice Anything

While J.D Salinger's The Cather in the Rye is the favorite book of a few of my close friends, I myself continue to harbor mixed feelings towards this classic novel. These sentiments are consistent with many of the other novels I have taken issue with thus far in this blog. As I've said many times before about various books, I should probably re-read The Catcher in the Rye, but here is what I remember from my experience reading it three years ago.

The Catcher in the Rye was my first exposure to a novel written in the "stream-of-consciousness" style. I understand the literary merit of writing in such a style, but the thoughts of a disgruntled teenager were perhaps too disjointed for me as my first attempt reading a novel fashioned in this way. In addition, I find certain dialects confusing and tiresome to read. Such was the case with this novel and I found myself being distracted by the language used by Salinger. Apart from these personal observances, I think there is much good to be said about The Cather in the Rye. I love the character of Holden Caulfield in all his obscene and confused angst. I think it is easy for any teenager to identify with his experiences. I like that he is skeptical and judgmental of those around him. Although some may view it as a vice, I think it is important to set standards for those you wish to associate and then hold new acquaintances to those standards. Sure, Holden might complain a lot, but he's a teenager. That's what teenagers do. Throughout the course of the story Holden learns many lessons, especially one of humility. As he learns, so does the reader, and for that I give it a B.

32 down, 969 to go!

"I am a kind of paranoiac in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy." (J.D Salinger)

No comments:

Post a Comment