Thursday, February 11, 2010

Those Had Been Wonderful Times and They Never Returned

In the postings of my mini-reviews of books I have previously read, I notice that I am tending to focus on those which I like. I figured I should break up all this praise with reviews of some works of which I am not as fond. The first is The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.

There are a few other Kafka books on this list of 1001 that I have yet to read, and I am more than willing to give this author a second chance. However, there was little in The Metamorphosis that interested me. Anyone that knows me well can attest to my deep fear of insects, and to think of waking up as a giant cockroach is repulsive to me. The story doesn’t get much better from there either. After his transformation, Gregor is shunned by his family and left to die. Fortunately for Gregor, that happens rather quickly, and his family moves on seemingly unaffected. I very well admit that there could be some hidden symbolism and social commentary, but I wouldn’t go looking for it myself. As much as it pains me to dislike a work of literature, I give it a D.

12 down 989 to go!

"A book should serve as the axe for the frozen sea within us." (Franz Kafka)

No comments:

Post a Comment