Saturday, February 13, 2010

Living Fire Begets Cold, Impotent Ash

The summer reading requirement for my freshman World Cultures class in high school was Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. I don't remember much from it in terms of plot, but I do remember being absolutely captivated by this book. I love learning about other cultures and ways of life, and I recall that this was a wonderful depiction of village life of the Igbo people in Nigeria. Their customs and beliefs were central to this story, which I particularly enjoyed. Because it's one of the few summer reading books that's stuck with me, I give it an A, but I should probably read this one again!

24 down, 977 to go!

"Art is man's constant effort to create for himself a different order of reality from that which is given to him." (Chinua Achebe)

No comments:

Post a Comment