Thursday, February 11, 2010

I Am a Citizen of the World

My first experience with Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White was listening to the soundtrack of its musical adaptation written by Andrew Lloyd Webber. In this way, I was able to familiarize myself with the story, and found it both mysterious and exciting. I purchased the book with the hopes that it would mirror Lloyd Webber's soaring musical, but this was not to be the case. I suppose that I ruined my reading experience by already knowing the mystery's conclusion, but I found the plot to be slow moving and somewhat dull. This is surprising since this novel has been praised as the creator of the new genre of "sensation novels". Perhaps I was thrown off by the constant changing of narrators, each offering their different perspectives on the events occurring at Limmeridge House. Maybe I ignored Collins' character development since I had already made up my mind about which characters I liked and which I didn't. Looking back on it now, I should probably read this again to see if I find it more captivating, but for the moment, I give it a C.

14 down 987 to go!

"I have always maintained that the one important phenomenon presented by modern society is the enormous prosperity of fools." (Wilkie Collins)

No comments:

Post a Comment