Saturday, February 13, 2010

Only a Man Who Has Felt Ultimate Despair Is Capable of Feeling Ultimate Bliss

I love epic adventure novels. I find it terribly exciting in reading about characters that have once in a lifetime experiences to do something truly extraordinary. Such stories usually exhibit a wonderful spectrum of human emotions and explore many different kinds of relationships. Alexandre Dumas is a master of these types of novels. I have read two of his three novels that on the 1001 book list, and I am really looking forward to reading the third. As should be expected, I've read his two best known stories, and here are my thoughts.

The Count of Monte Cristo: I absolutely adore this novel. If I were ever wronged and decided to take revenge on those that unjustly accused me of a crime, I would want to do it on the epic scale that Edmond Dantes achieved. I am always touched by the relationship that Dantes and Faria develop while in prison together. During this time, Edmond learns the importance of knowledge and patience, an understanding that will be vital in his method of revenge. His plans are expertly laid out before him, and he bides his time while befriending his very enemies in the hopes of manipulating them. I continue to be impressed by how interwoven the subplots are in this story, and this interconnectedness magnifies the sheer intelligence and brilliance of Dantes' plans. A wonderfully told adventure story and well deserving of an A+.

The Three Musketeers: This is the epitome of an adventure novel. D'Artagnan and his friends encounter an almost impossible number of dangerous sword-fighting adventures on their quest for love, glory, and the illustrious title of "musketeer". It doesn't have the same level of complexity that The Count of Monte Cristo has, but greatly enjoyable nonetheless. A solid A of a book.

19 down 982 to go!

"One's work may be finished someday, but one's education never." (Alexandre Dumas)

No comments:

Post a Comment