Sunday, February 14, 2010

I Think I'll Be a Clown When I Get Grown

I read Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird in middle school. I loved it then and I love it even more now. One of the things that strikes me most about this novel is the narrative voice. I think it's absolutely brilliant to write about social injustice, whether based on race or class, from the perspective of a child. These prejudices seem completely nonsensical to a child who manages to see the good in everything and everyone. Through the course of the novel, the children learn life lessons from the behavior of the adults around them, but the same can be said of the adults in this novel. It's a beautiful commentary of the coexistence of good and evil and how our perspectives on life can make all the difference in the world. It's truly an inspirational classic. A+.

29 down, 972 to go!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view." (Harper Lee)

No comments:

Post a Comment