Sunday, February 14, 2010

This Is God's Curse On Slavery

For some reason or another, I thought it would be a good idea to read Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin when I was in middle school. I'm sure it had something to do with my fascination with the musical The King and I which mentions this very novel. I don't think I was quite prepared then for the thorough treatment of slavery that this novel presents. I remember finding it long winded and rather boring, as I read about a pair of slaves being sold from one plantation to another. I should probably give this book a second chance now that I'm older, but since I don't remember hating it, for the moment I'll give it a solid B.

30 down, 971 to go!

"Any mind that is capable of real sorrow is capable of good." (Harriet Beecher Stowe)

No comments:

Post a Comment